Saturday 14 May 2011

Vinyl - Shawn Phillips - COLLABORATION

This LP opens with a flurry of Flamenco type strumming...brash , an awakening call...

then moves further into the first track; Us We Are. The vocals of Shawn Philips always seems to make me think of the wide plains of America and sun sun sun, a long blond haired ( I think of him as a Texan?) with a sinuey vocal sound....that is unique and musical...there is a remarkable and beautiful vocal improvisation on What's Happenin Jim? .. which lifts you into the stratosphere ...

Orchestrations add a gravitas and fullness as well as at times a spacey feeling( Paul Buckmaster and Peter Robinson).





This sets the tone for the whole album...sets the quality bar very high......Shawn Philips has a lot to say, and he's coming from a very sane perspective..a very human, ancient wisdom.

I can recall painting my bedroom, back in Barnet, sky blue...it took me hours..and I played this LP continuously for the whole time......

It's an LP I love and will always have a copy.

Shawn was one of my many mentors...leading my thoughts,

A good artist - for me anyway - leads the listener/observer to new thoughts and inspirations..but reflects the listener back to himself...hopefully bringing out new inspirations and INSIGHTS.

This acoustic oriented album has a feeling of organic collaboration, raw environments with real dirt, sunshine, challenging observation of mankind....love songs, euphoria, pychosis, personal growth etc etc

Shawn Phillips is great! This album is his best imo....I CANNOT DO JUSTICE TO HOW GOOD THIS LP IS.

Sounds great on vinyl......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.