Wednesday 19 October 2011

My Homebrew Pedals

Here are some of my homebrew pedals, that I made in the last few weeks, they are from left to right, a preamp, a germanium fuzz, a buffer, an overdrive and my Levell Overdrive pedal...these last 2 are exactly the same pedal...which basically succesfully sounds much like a vintage Marshall Plexi super lead....all positioned on my 1968 Marshall Super PA....jtm100....

The pedals all have very old parts on them, such as old GPO Switchboard Opals, and the Level RC Transistor Oscillator TG 150M box ( I still have the innards in case I need to reverse the process) .. The TG 150M was part of the kit the Beatles techs used at Abbey Road.....it controlled the motor speed of the second tape machine when The Beatles were creating ADT effects....the large knob in the middle was twiddled by the engineer as the track was played and this would slow down one of a pair of signals (or speed it up even) so that chorusing/flanging/adt effects would be created....a good example of this is Eric Clapton's solo on While My Guitar Gently weeps, which may have also used a Leslie cabinet in conjuction with this...

Another freaky coincidence is that the Levell TG150M was made in Barnet - where I grew up from 4 til 18 - and part of the building that it was made in is now used by Steve Broughton of the Edgar Broughton Band for his Mirror Mad shop...he makes and sells fabtastic mirrors.....the Levell is the perfect box for one of my favourite sounding overdrives.....

The Blue light housing (1960's Arco, I think) in the middle of the Pre-amp was given to me an old friend in the early 1990's...and I remember these being used on amusements in arcades in places like Southend etc...so at age ten or whatever these things were flashing all around me on our days out to the seaside......one machine I remember was a horse racing machine..there was a track in the middle under glass with plastic horses, each jockey had a different coloured shirt...you would put 2p into one of about 6 different colours and make a bet on who was going to win....the winning colour would flash at the end of the race and a small payout would occur...there were around 8 or so different betting positions....I was there on my own and a light kept coming up on it's own as if there was a bet being made...I cashed in and got around 32p...several payouts...which funded many other games around the amusements....imagine that! 2p for a game on an amusement..now you need a freakin bank loan!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.